Monday, April 14, 2014

Rough Translations: Introduction/The GIIB Web Site

Thanks to a recent Sports Illustrated article and Baseball Prospectus interview, I stumbled across the website for the Grupo Independiente para la Investigacion del Beisbol (GIIB), a group interested in applying sabermetric principles to Cuban baseball. Their website is very interesting, but it's in Spanish. In order to spread their very useful approach, I'm putting my loose translation here, in the hopes that (even if it's not 100% accurate) it will at least be an improvement over what you can get for free through something like Google Translate.

DISCLAIMER

  • All content is property of the GIIB and is not my own. I claim zero rights to it. If they get mad about this translation, they just have to contact me and I will absolutely take it down.
  • I also claim zero responsibility for the accuracy of these translations. I am not a native Spanish speaker, but I did take Spanish in high school and am currently a level-17 Duolingo user, for whatever that's worth. Any missing Spanish knowledge (of which there is a lot) will be supplied by Google Translate.
  • Because my understanding of the original is limited, the translations will probably not be exact. I hope to at least capture the spirit of the article, so others who don't know Spanish can still read the GIIB's research. Sentences or phrases I can't get a good handle on will be denoted by italics. You're welcome to leave corrections or other constructive feedback in the comments.

***

Sitio Web del GIIB (The GIIB Web Site)

With great joy we launch our group's official website today. We want to thank everyone who has kindly offered us their help. Although it is not necessary, it is recommended that all users register to be able to consume all of our site's services without difficulty. We believe that this is the best way to make our first proposal public and official: the launch of the StatsPlay project. In this site you will find everything you need to inform yourself about StatsPlay. We hope that with this project, all those linked to baseball can supplement the existing information needed in our country.

Welcome to all. GIIB.

No comments:

Post a Comment